Saturday, November 1, 2008

Maines and Wright

Maines

A vibrator as a medical device? Really. It’s slightly is unnerving to know that there is no know evidence or response from “patients” of this so called medical device created by men and used on hysterical women. I am sure once they realized that women were getting more joy from a machine then a man could possible provided, they banned it from the medical device (public) category. The issue to me stems back to man vs. the machine in my opinion.

In the video Passion and Power: The Technology of Orgasm, I found it a bit strange when the older women who own an original vibrator said that ads and society made her feel guilty for owning on and that the sexuality of oneself is not a thing to talk about. In my appliance studio DJ Mix it, sex toys and vibrators being appliances, are mention daily. I have to admit, it was a bit uncomfortable and I did find myself a bit uncomfortable with the topic. So I guess I was in a similar situation, but as we kept discussing it. I started to notice that other were either very open to the topic. To think the device was a very public matter, even published on a page in the Sear Roebuck Catalog.

Link to Passion and Power: The Technology of Orgasm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyvistSxek


Wright


The stiletto heel is definitely a product that defines who a woman is, especial nowadays with all the style and brands. It has become an extension of a women body. It is a way to express feeling, moods, power and body. You can always tell how someone feels about themselves who is wearing heals by the way a women stomps her heels and how high the spike is, i.e. strippers in heels.I must admit myself, I do not wear heels very often myself, but when I do, it is very empowering and I feel much more confident walking down the street than I would in sneaker.

Lee Wright brings up a good question.If men can buy objects that make them feel assertive and “big”, then why can’t women? It is very understandable. Men buy sport cars, hummers and SUVs, which are all a type of vehicle that make a man, feel a satisfaction and even a bit more confident. Women buy clothing, accessories and shoes to feel successful. There is no reason for a criticism here, to each their own. A product can definitely define the person you are but I do not yet feel that designers control or designs meaning into a product.

No comments: